The Modern Age of Non-Invasive Mental Health Innovations: Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
Written By: Jessica Connell-Glynn | Dr. Robert L. Bard & the editorial team of prevention101.org
Current reports have presented an est. 30% of depression cases have a resistance to antidepressant drugs, where Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) and the application of Transcranially applied non-invasive neuro-magnetic intervention has shown positive results in combination with antidepressants in patients with treatment-resistant depression[ 4].
You can also use a different set of TMS stimulation parameters to inhibit brain regions that may be overactive. That is, you can actually slow down the functioning of the cortical area that you're targeting. Hence, TMS in therapeutics may be a versatile option to treat a range of neurologic and psychiatric disorders in the future.
1) “FDA OKs TMS Depression Device for Brain-Stimulating Device Cleared for Depression Treatment After 1 Drug Failure”-
4) Biological Psychiatry (Journal) /ARCHIVAL REPORT| VOLUME 68, ISSUE 2, P163-169, JULY 15, 2010 Transcranial Low Voltage Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields in Patients with Treatment-Resistant Depression https://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/S0006-3223(10)00162-9/fulltext
5) Nauczyciel C, Hellier P, Morandi X, Blestel S, Drapier D, Ferre JC, et al. (April 2011). "Assessment of standard coil positioning in transcranial magnetic stimulation in depression". Psychiatry Research. 186 (2–3): 232–8. doi:10.1016/j.psychres.2010.06.012. PMID 20692709. S2CID 25100990.
6) NICE. January 2014 Transcranial magnetic stimulation for treating and preventing migraine. Michael Craig Miller for Harvard Health Publications. July 26, 2012 Magnetic stimulation: a new approach to treating depression?
7) Pascual-Leone A, Davey N, Rothwell J, Wassermann EM, Puri BK (2002). Handbook of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation. London: Edward Arnold. ISBN 978-0-340-72009-7.
8) Fitzgerald PB, Fountain S, Daskalakis ZJ (December 2006). "A comprehensive review of the effects of rTMS on motor cortical excitability and inhibition". Clinical Neurophysiology. 117 (12): 2584–96. doi:10.1016/j.clinph.2006.06.712. PMID 16890483. S2CID 31458874.
9) Wikipedia: Transcranial magnetic stimulation