Front liners and essential workers are at the top of the list for the simple reason that their work does not lend itself the option to self-isolate. If there was a group of people who understood infection, contamination and prevention, physicians make it their business to do their 'homework' on the vaccine- enough to personally support hoping to educate the skeptics, the nay-sayers and the fear-mongers.
I found the source of our divided community to stem from confusion overwhelming flood of digital information vs. the the emotional and psychological tolls (from the pandemic) on the public. "I got the shot to get back to work, but I can empathize those who resist it -- it takes strength and a lot of energy to TRUST anything (ie. the government) after a year of mask-wearing, half a million deaths and a life upside down!" - says Elizabeth Cristi, home health aide.
Speaking out to all public concerns, Dr. Stephen Chagares shared his own personal findings (through the use of 1st grade math) to verify why the vaccine is SAFE and NOT RUSHED- for himself, his family and for the community. A talented educator to his patients, Dr. Chagares drives compelling statements with the help of reputable references to support herd immunity as a sound strategy for reversing the pandemic. "The very first recipients of the vaccine were healthcare personnel... the same people who treat and restore the ill.
My Vaccination Debate - by: Anthony J. Carfang
I marvel at the wonders of modern medical science and its gifts to mankind. However, I am even more amazed at the miraculous recuperative powers of the human body. So much so that I absolutely hate to have anything foreign enter my system. I avoid pills and supplements. Until this year, I had never taken the flu shot!
My logic about the flu shot was simple: 1) follow all the health protocols and sanitary precautions, 2) avoid people with flu symptoms. I further reasoned that I would have time to seek care if I did catch the flu. It worked for decades.
Those assumptions don't work for Covid. Asymptomatic spread makes it impossible to avoid the virus, even by diligently following the protocols. Further, I've seen friends and relatives progress from mild symptoms to hospitalization in a matter of hours.
That made a vaccine believer out of me.
ABOUT THE WRITER
Anthony Carfang is a board member of Survivingbreastcancer.org, a nonprofit organization committed to supporting those who have been touched by breast cancer. Whether you are caring for someone who has been diagnosed, know someone who has breast cancer, have been diagnosed yourself or carry one of the gene mutations, we understand that a breast cancer diagnosis can be life changing and overwhelming. Out of the need to navigate the uncertainty and the strong desire for connection, support, and resources, surivingbreastcancer.org was born.
1) “Operation Warp Speed selects billionaire scientist’s COVID-19 vaccine for monkey tests” https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/06/operation-warp-speed-selects-billionaire-scientist-s-covid-19-vaccine-monkey-tests
2) How were researchers able to develop COVID-19 vaccines so quickly? https://news.uchicago.edu/story/how-were-researchers-able-develop-covid-19-vaccines-so-quickly
3) “How did we develop a COVID-19 vaccine so quickly?” https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/how-did-we-develop-a-covid-19-vaccine-so-quickly
4) “Fact check: The vaccine for COVID-19 has been nearly 20 years in the making” https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/01/21/fact-check-covid-19-vaccine-nearly-20-years-making/3873247001/
5) “A Timeline of COVID-19 Vaccine Development” https://www.biospace.com/article/a-timeline-of-covid-19-vaccine-development/
6) National Geographic: “COVID-19 requires the world to consider 'unconventional approaches'” https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/to-make-a-coronavirus-vaccine-we-may-need-to-deliberately-infect-people